Jumanji 1 &2 (Welcome to the Jungle and Next Level)

Movies, 2017, PG-13; 2019, PG-13
**I originally wrote this post for the first movie alone, not realizing there would ever be a sequel. I have updated this post to include both films after now watching the new one! Looking like there will eventually be a third as well!


Premise – When four teenagers end up in their school basement for a tedious detention, they attempt to alleviate their boredom by turning on an old video game they find called “Jumanji.” When they start the game, however, the teens are sucked inside the world and assume adult avatars entirely opposite to themselves, unable to return to the real world until they either win the game or die.

Review – I had no idea what to expect for this movie. All I knew was that the film was about some game of some sort, was incredibly successful at the box office, and stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Oh, and it was a remake of a movie from the ‘90s. That’s LITERALLY it, which was not enough to convince me that I’d be interested. I googled the premise before watching and found out that the film is actually about people getting sucked into the world of the game, and that had me slightly intrigued. After much persuasion from my dad, I decided to give it a try. And I’m glad I did.

Something about the “world within a world” trope just captures me. When ordinary people get thrown into extraordinary situations, with absolutely nothing to prepare them, it feels so much more like a vicarious experience. Better yet, the characters are pushed outside of their comfort zones when they all assume avatars completely different from their own personalities, which forces unexpectedly large character development. Therefore the set-up is exactly what I’d want in a fantasy/sci-fi type of a movie. Totally my type of film.

While I loved the premise and structure of the film, the only downside was how forced that very same premise and structure came across. The avatars the different characters assume had to be caricatures, so therefore the everyday teenagers with completely opposite personalities also had to be caricatures in their own way. This felt extremely true with Bethany, the blonde, selfie-absorbed girl. She felt more like a stereotype than a person. Also, there needed to be a premise that unites these four wildly different individuals in the video game. The filmmakers went with detention, which is okay… but the moment when they all band together to play a video game in detention because they were bored came across as far too conveniently forced, considering how little these students wished to interact.

Despite the caricatures in the writing, all of the performances were phenomenal. Despite each character having two actors - one for their real selves, and one for their avatar, the physicality, mannerisms, and cadences for each character matched perfectly. You really felt as if the actors were playing the SAME person. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (who always needs to be addressed by his full name), was incredibly believable at playing someone as insecure and nerdy as Spencer, especially given his massive stature. I never considered myself a Kevin Hart fan, but his loud reactions to the absurdity of it all can make me literally laugh out loud. Nick Jonas was a far better actor than I remembered from back in his Jonas days. Jack Black was obviously hilarious. And then the true highlight of the film for me was Karen Gillan, who is probably the least famous, but the best performer. Her badass, sexy, nature and top-notch dance-fighting skills as Ruby Roundhouse gave me serious nostalgia for female femme characters like Sarah Walker in Chuck. What an icon.

The film far succeeded expectations and I have a feeling now that even if I were to watch the original, which is considered to be a classic, I'd still prefer this reboot. (91/100)

EDIT 6/9/19: I rewatched this film and I loved it just as much, if not more. I'll bump up the score all the way to 95/100.

EDIT 3/29/20: I have now seen the sequel and thought it was just as good (which is so rare!) The sequel is deserving of the same score and somehow manages to be even funnier than the original in many regards. In this film, the characters enter Jumanji once again, this time with some unexpected guests.

The downside is that my complaint about the first movie, how the setup to entering Jumanji felt forced, is even more pronounced and awkwardly paced in the second film. However, once you're in the jungle it is a wild ride and the film is pure perfection. And, just like the first one, the comedy and adventure are balanced with some deep heart.

I definitely had this thought this during the first film, but it became so much more obvious in the sequel that the real value of this franchise is seeing A-list actors play embody such different characters than how they would be stereotyped. In the sequel, we see the exact same set of actors (The Rock, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, and Jack Black) play ENTIRELY different characters than they did in the first film. If you thought Jack Black was funny as a teenage girl, try seeing him as a black man. It's freakin' hilarious. And both Kevin Hart and the Rock really stretched their comedic acting abilities by playing old men. I was so, SO impressed by the acting that my respect for all four of them skyrocketed immensely. Same with Awkwafina, the new addition to the group. Nick Jonas... well he just played the same character, to be honest but still good to see him.

I am so glad I didn't know the premise of the second film going in. The trailers would have revealed the big twist, that Spencer's grandfather and best friend (two very old men) are also thrown into the game. And I'm still reeling at how funny it was seeing that reveal of who played who for the first time. It was such a refreshing take for a premise that could have gotten very repetitive. Also, it allowed for some new directions in the emotional weight of occupying a different body. Spencer was excited to be Dr. Bravestone because he was a weak and scrawny kid. But Eddie was excited to be Dr. Bravestone because he was old and dying and no longer had the physical freedom to just... be a functional person. It was such a great film.

Quote – “Cake makes me explode.”

What to watch for – Oh my gosh haha I don’t know where to start… Jack Black as a self-absorbed teenage girl? Karen Gillan's dance-fighting? In the sequel, it'd be Jack Black as a black man.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend The Pendragon Series! Or Chuck!

Based on the book written by Chris Van Allsburg
Director: Jake Kasdan,
Distribution Company: Sony Pictures



Comments

Popular Posts