Endgame

Play (Script), 1958

Premise - A blind man is constantly calling upon his servant. The servant is constantly threatening to leave his job but does not. A la Waiting for Godot, this endless cycle continues through back and forth existential discussion without coming any closer to resolution.


Review - I am not, and have not ever been, much of a Beckett fan. I enjoy the concept of plays like Waiting for Godot and Krapp's Last Tape, but never the practice of actually reading it. To be fair, I've never seen a Beckett play performed (and that ALWAYS the intended medium), but I can't imagine I'd like it any more. I have seen a film adaptation of Waiting for Godot and I think that experience was even worse than just reading the script.

My reasons for not particularly liking Beckett come down to his "theater for the sake of theater" purpose. His plays constantly remind you of the fact that you are watching a play and prevent any possible absorption into a fictional experience. It's interesting, because I like books for the sake of books that really focus on literary techniques, and I really like films for the same of films that focus on cinematic techniques. Both of these examples similarly pull one outside of the entertainment experience. I think it's because I enjoy and am very fond of creative literary/cinematic techniques. But I never really grew up watching much theater so theatrical technique is just... not my wheelhouse.

Nevertheless, Samuel Beckett is one of the most famous and renowned playwrights of all time, and most actors would be beyond thrilled to be cast in one of his plays. Endgame (in a double feature with Rough for Theatre II) recently had another run in London at the Old Vic (though it had to be prematurely cut short due to quarantine) and of course, being in the US, I could not see it. But as Daniel Radcliffe was cast in one of the leading roles I am obligated to read it as a fangirl. He plays

Clov, the servant who is unable to sit. I can absolutely imagine him playing this frustrated, neurotic character constantly stuck in action that he doesn’t want to do. All of the screenshots of him he looks very distressed.


This was a more pleasant reading experience than I was bracing myself for. Perhaps my low expectations worked in my favor. It was quick, fast-paced, and actually does come to some sort of resolution by the end? Clov (the servant) does end up no longer serving Hamm.

I enjoyed it for the stage direction and sort of imagining what it would have looked like to attend, and how the lines would have been delivered on stage. I think that's how you're supposed to read a Beckett script so I guess I'm on track. (38/100)

Quote - "Imagine if a rational being came back to earth, wouldn't he be liable to get ideas into his head if he observed us long enough."

Or perhaps the simple:

"You're on earth, there's no cure for that!"

What to watch/read for - Well if you have the pleasure of seeing a bootleg with Daniel Radcliffe, then I guess I'd recommend that. I sure haven't had that chance. Otherwise, I'd read it for the stage direction specifically. A lot of the comedy is likely in the physical movement of the characters, and not necessarily the dialogue.

If you liked this play, I'd recommend Waiting for Godot!

Written by Samuel Beckett
Script published by Grove Press

Comments

Popular Posts