10 to Try Reading Challenge (& Books of) 2021

For the fourth year now, I completed my local library's "10 to Try" challenge with the intention of making it a yearly tradition. I also set a reading goal of 12 total books for the year 2021, an average of 1 per month, which would give me the opportunity to both complete "10 to Try" and throw a few personal choices in there. I ended up reading 18 books in 2021 (16 of which were new), which is impressive given the fact that I spent the entirety of the year in grad school, AND I had to read through like 8 textbooks that I didn't necessary finish but took up a huge chunk of time. So here are the categories and the books I read!

Read an epistolary novel 
-We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver - I've always wanted to read this book after seeing the creepy ass film so I'm thankful it happens to be written in an epistolary format.

Read a book set where you were born
-The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - With just a few hours to spare, I finished this at about 7pm on December 31st. I was born in California and basically anything Steinbeck is going to take place in California. An OG communist ACAB manifesto - will definitely write my thoughts on this one later

Read a book about pop culture
-An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green - Perhaps not so much about pop culture but rather social media and internet fame. Oh, and there are aliens in this too. I devoured it in two sittings. The sequel will probably be my first read book of 2022.
 
 -Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche by Ethan Watters - I read this as a requirement for my mental health disorders class and as much as it does not sound relevant to pop culture, it is absolutely about how mental health is subjective to cultural trends.
 
Read a book published this year
-You Will Get Through This Night by Daniel Howell. Pre-ordered back in 2020 and had my newly printed signed copy ready to go in 2021.
 
Read a book that makes you laugh
-Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. It made me laugh and cringe and cry. The author of Fight Club will do that to you.
 
-David Copperfield by Charles Dickens - A British classic with wholesome chuckles

Read a book about the future
-Black Futures curated by Kimberly Drew - Though to me I think I cheated on the prompt because it's as much about the present as it is about the future. A snapshot of postmodern Black culture.
 
-Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paolo Freire - Is this actually about the future? No lol. I'm putting it here to be optimistic. This is the future I want. Probably the best book I read of the year for my advocacy and empowerment class.

Read a book with nonhuman characters
-Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - An old classic that I hadn't revisited since early childhood.

Read a book written by a Black author
-Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools by Monique W. Morris - First read of 2021 because I read most of it in 2020 for an essay I wrote in my social justice class

Reread an old favorite
-The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - Reread as a requirement for my social work in schools class, but it is a favorite!

Read a book recommended by KCLS staff
-Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women that a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall - They include this category every year and it's just my chance to read something that I know is popular and revered. 

-home body by Rupi Kaur - I have all the Rupi Kaur books, I just checked to see if it had been officially recommended by library staff and of course it has.

Additional reads:
-In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction by Gabor Mate - Another favorite of the year, assigned in my substance use class.
 
-Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker - which caused me paranoia about my own problems with sleep

-Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges by Amy Cuddy - recommended by a friend in social work to deal with imposter syndrome

-Piercing the Cloud: Encountering the Real Me - A Life Review by Jaime A. Pineda - MY UNCLE WROTE THIS BOOK so of course I read it.

Comments

Popular Posts