On the title

If there are an infinite number of alternate universes, covering every possible version of reality, then is it possible that universes exists where what is fictional in our world becomes reality? Is there a world where Harry Potter is real? The Marvel Cinematic Universe? Star Wars? Or even that small indie film no one has ever seen? If the number of universes is infinite, perhaps every piece of fiction potentially has its reality. I refer you to the famous John Green quote, "Maybe Harry Potter is real and you're not."

This is a blog dedicated to critiques and reviews of fictional (in this world) narratives, whether literary, dramatic, or otherwise. Stories, essentially. Think of this as a movie critic blog, but also a literary critic blog, or a theater critic blog, or whatever form of storytelling may exist. Of course, not every narrative is fictional, and I may very well also review non-fiction memoirs, documentaries, and the like. Whenever I watch, read, or otherwise consume a new story, I will write a full review on this blog, including a short premise, quote of choice, and perhaps what to lookout for. And then I'll score the story from 1-100! Not one of those scales where only 95-100 is an A. A very honest scale where anything above 50 means the positives outweighed the negatives, and I enjoyed it.

This blog is a continuation of what I have been doing in my personal life for years. Starting in March 2015, I have documented every story I have come across and journaled my experience and thoughts. I already have several journals worth. In addition to writing new reviews, I also plan to digitize these older ones. This, combined with the fact that I'm young and come across old films/books for the first time all the time, means that the majority of these reviews are not for new stories that have just come out. It could easily be something from 2008, 1986, or 1850 that I just read for the first time, or have read before March 2015 and never reviewed.

These will be highly personalized reviews! Very informal, very positive... Despite the general informality, I do want to take the time to operationalize some of the rules that I will have for myself, because there is a method to the madness - always.

1) Stories will be reviewed as a whole. If it takes place as a part in a series, I won't review it until the series is completed. Therefore TV shows will seldom be reviewed, as I don't review episode by episode or even season by season.

2) Adaptations will be generally reviewed alongside original stories, with maybe a separate section acknowledging the differences. (i.e., if I've seen both, then Beauty and the Beast animated vs. Beauty and the Beast live-action would be considered under the same review, as it is the same story.) Exceptions to this are if the adaptations take so much leverage that they go so far as to change the title, at which point I will consider them separate.

3) If I reviewed one version, (i.e., read a book) and then later come across an adaptation (i.e., a movie version of said book), then I will go back to the original entry and update it. I may also make a brief new entry about the pros/cons of the adaptation, with a link back to the original review that treats the story as a whole.

Ughhhhhhhhh ok phew. All of those formalities probably bored EVERYONE away. But those are the rules that protect the integrity of this idea that these fictional stories have their own reality, somewhere, sometime. By reading books and watching films, we ourselves can start to exist in an infinite amount of universes, with infinite lives.

Lots of Love!
-Emi

Comments

Popular Posts