Buster's Mal Heart

Movie, 2017, Unrated

Premise - A mountain man given the nickname "Buster" becomes infamous for calling into radio shows and ranting about the end of the world. He's wanted by authorities for staying in empty vacation homes during the winter, though he has committed no known violent crimes. His life as "Buster" is told alongside two parallel points in time, one of him stranded on a raft, and one of his prior life as a normal man.


Review - I am not the kind of person who likes to have films explained to me. I rarely enjoy watching videos or articles of "xxxxx Movie Explained," unless it takes a particular angle to explore (for example, I enjoy watching Wisecrack's videos on the philosophy of films). My general stance is that I want to have my own baseline understanding of a film and the themes it explores. But this film... this was so difficult for me to understand, that I think it took away from my enjoyment. Perhaps it was the number of biblical allusions, which go above my head. Perhaps it was the science that lost me. Or perhaps this is just a really confusing film.

The problem was that I was trying for so long to fit this into one linear timeline. I figured that first came his life as Jonah, followed by his life on the raft, and concluding with his life as "Buster." It's not that this explanation is impossible, but if it was the correct explanation, why leave so much of it unresolved? We don't see Jonah entering a fishing boat and getting lost at sea. We don't see the moment he finally comes ashore. Towards the end of the film, we see Jonah split into two personalities, which perhaps suggests he lived one life as "Buster," and another life stranded on a raft. This explanation doesn't feel right either.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that if I can't figure it out, then the film very intentionally lacks explanation. I felt more like I was watching a dream, that evokes the sense of logic without being logical (Mulholland Drive style). The constant suspenseful music, even during benign moments in the film, also supports this theory. It was more about the emotion than the logic, and the film definitely succeeded at being suspenseful and creepy. This lack of any resolved plot, however, was still frustrating for me, as I felt like I invested so much time waiting for answers and never got them. (40/100).

Quote - "It's impossible. I don't believe it." - way to sum up the film...

What to watch for - RAMI FREAKIN' MALEK, the star of "Mr. Robot," one of my favorite television shows. He's the star of this film, and the reason I watched. I honestly think he's one of the most attractive people on this planet, and just watching him for a 2 hour movie was an orgasmic experience in it of itself. Seeing him as a husband and a father...just YES.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Mulholland Drive! Again, not a fan of that movie either, but they remind me of each other.

Director: Sarah Adina Smith
Distribution Company: Well Go USA Entertainment

Comments

Popular Posts