The Invisible Guest


Movie (Spanish), 2017, Unrated(?)

Premise - A man is accused of murdering his mistress, who is found dead in the same room as him. The man insists that it must have been someone else, as he was knocked unconscious, but police find no possible way another individual could have both entered and exited the room without trace.


Review – This movie BLEW ME AWAY. I had never heard of it before, and there is no possible way I would have ever come across it if it hadn’t been for the friend who introduced it to me. She hadn’t seen it either, and we watched it on a whim. The Invisible Guest  is a Spanish-speaking film, known in Spain for resembling English thrillers like Gone Girl and Girl on the Train. It is more proof of the brilliance that comes from minds all over the planet, and how much we as consumers should diversify our palates.

Like all great thrillers, the brilliance lies in the plot twists. My personal standpoint is that, if I can guess the ending, the writer didn’t do a good enough job. Surprise me, and at the same time, make sure the story all fits. It’s a tall order, but this film most definitely pulls it off. I watched this film almost a week ago and I’m still thinking about it.

The Invisible Guest utilizes a technique that is popular among thrillers – visually showcasing how events could have played out, without any confirmation that this is the way events actually happened. Therefore, we may watch the same scene multiple times with different outcomes or perspectives. This is an incredibly effective way to rectify the repetitive format of the story – it’s just a guy getting interviewed by his lawyer. Visually, it keeps the story entertaining and it makes viewers question if the final verdict made by the lawyer is, word by word, how events unfolded, or if she just gets the gist.

I also want to praise the film’s cinematography, coloring, sound editing, and music. High quality all the way through. (88/100)

What to watch for - THE ENDING.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Gone Girl, even though I've never seen it!

Director: Oriol Paulo
Distribution Company: Warner Bros.


Comments

Popular Posts