Let's Be Cops

Movie, 2014

Premise - Two roommates accidentally show up to what they thought was a costume party in full-blown police uniforms. When they realize that people actually believe them to be cops, they begin to live the lie, driving in a fake police car, ordering civilians around, and even tracking down a large crime gang that the real police were unable to expose.


Review - I think I read on wikipedia that this is considered to be one of the worst films of 2014. I have seen it 5 or 6 times, and every time I love it just as much. I even saw it when it opened in theaters. That must show some personal bias on my part towards Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr., the two starring actors. Both are from the show "New Girl," one of my favorites that I have also reviewed on this blog. However, as much as I love these two (Jake especially), I know what it feels like to watch a film just for the actor, and that is not what happens here. I still feel as though I genuinely enjoy this film, so maybe I just have odd taste.

I can start by pointing out some obvious flaws that I can agree with. The film is very simplistic. The comedy follows the formulaic "straight man"/"comic man" comedy duo in which one character acts completely ridiculous, while the carries more of the emotional heart. Damon's character is the straight man, and therefore gets to have a romantic interest, played by Nina Dobrev, who has little to no character besides her good looks. In addition, the film was likely criticized for offensive material. I care much less about this in the realm of comedy, as long as the subject matter is dealt with in an intelligent way. This film is far too surface level to acknowledge the complexities of police corruption and brutality towards civilians. Other than one swift comment from Daman's character about being black and not wanting to get pulled over, there is no discussion of race, or any acknowledgment that there are other real cops who abuse power.

What do I love about the film, though? It's actually quite endearing and sentimental. This is a film about friendship, teamwork, and cooperation, and having a life's purpose, which are important life-skills for those in the police force. I also praise the film for being able to develop an engaging plotline, however simple and predictable it may be. The film could have easily started out with a funny premise, and then deteriorated because no story was further developed. Somehow, this film is able to create an entire crime for these two idiots to solve in a way that real police couldn't. I also love how the film was initially setup. Daman's character (sorry, I really don't remember the characters' actual names besides "Chang") has these police uniforms as a way to promote his new video game, the goal of which is to feel like you get to vicariously experience solving crime like a cop. Before he knows it, he's living the video game he created. I find it clever and impressive. (91/100)

Quote - "Isn't that the guy that took a shit on our doorstep?! He's a cop?!"

What to watch for - Jake Johnson has a piece of my heart so him. Because he's the "comic man" in the comedy duo, they portray him as somewhat gross and unattractive, but his puppy face still makes me love him.

If you liked this book, I'd recommend 21 Jump Street!

Directed by Luke Greenfield
Distributed by 20th Century Fox

Comments

Popular Posts