Mean Girls

Movie, 2004, PG-13

Premise - A teenage girl who was homeschooled in Africa her entire life finally attends a real-life American public school, where the girls are anything but nice. Absorbed into the world of the "Plastics," three queen bitches, she pretends to befriend them in order to destroy their reputations on behalf of the less popular.

Review - This is one of those films that I probably watch once a year or so. I know nearly every line. To be honest, that's not necessarily something to brag about though. Most people I know have this movie memorized as well. Mean Girls is considered to be one of the most quotable film of my lifetime. My entire review could just be filled with iconic quotes and it would still be longer than any review I have ever written. It's a cultural phenomenon, and for good reason. I love chick flicks already, but this has to be of my favorites of all time.

I would like to think that this movie about girls is not only entertaining for fellow girls, but for everyone. It's proof that girls can be FUNNY, and this humor about high school dynamics defined a generation. It shows the absurdity of cliques, and how girls always seem to be seeking out the worst in other girls, as if their entire lives are a competition against others of their own sex. The girls are frequently compared to the ferocious animal kingdom.

Now, this movie is not meant to insult girls or turn them into deceptive demons with pretty hair. The film explores a wide variety of conflicts and differences girls have, and how we should be encouraged to support each other because we become so much stronger that way. At the same time, it's meant to make fun of bitchy behavior so girls can see how awful it is. In the end, all the characters become more accepting and less hierarchical. All this said, Mean Girls is not necessarily some deep, feminist film. It's just great satire. I watch for the comedic value. (96/100)

Quote - There's too many to count here. I'll just go with a few classics:

"Four for you Glen Coco, you go Glen Coco! .... And none for Gretchen Wieners bye."

"So if you're from Africa, why are you white?" "Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white."

"On Wednesdays we wear pink!"

"On October 3rd he asked me what day it was. It's October 3rd."

"Don't have sex. Because you will get pregnant. And die."

What to watch for - Ohhhh I love all of the outfits. Still do. I know the movie is over a decade old, so you'd think I'd have changed my fashion taste since then, but I still have an attachment to the style of the 2000s. So pink. So pretty.

If you liked this movie, I recommend John Tucker Must Die!

Directed by Mark Waters
Written by Tina Fey
Distributed by Paramount

Comments

Popular Posts