The Notebook

Movie, 2004, PG-13; Book, 1996

Premise - The lifelong love story between a poor, earthly man and a rich, idealistic girl. As an old man, Noah reads his love story to Allie out of a notebook she wrote for him before losing her memory to dementia. Now Noah believes their love can create scientific miracles.

Review - I think I had a similar first experience with this movie that a lot of girls had - I was in the 7th grade, at a sleepover with my girl friends, eating ice cream, and sobbing. It was my first introduction to the beauty of Ryan Gosling, as well as my first Nicholas Sparks movie experience. I have since seen the movie countless times, as well as several other Nicholas Sparks-inspired films. And I'm fallen more and more in love with Ryan Gosling. In addition, I have read the original novel, though I remember it paled in comparison. I was only fifteen at the time I read the novel, and considering how much my taste has changed, it is very possible that I would enjoy it more now. At the same time, I doubt it would make a difference because my heart is going to be with whatever I experienced first, which will always be the film.

This is one of the most stereotypically over-the-top romantic films ever to exist and I love it for that very reason. It's passionate and sexy and enthralling and everything real romance rarely ever is. From kissing in the rain, to eating ice cream off each other's faces, to growing old together, Noah and Allie share the most powerful romantic connection in modern cinema. I love the idea that a person can hold such importance in your life, that even several years later, a simple photo of them can send you reeling. The movie has a reputation for being "sad" or "tragic" because it's such a tear-jerker. But I don't find it sad. I always cry, no matter what, but it's more for the sentimentality. When you really think about it, there can't possibly be a happier ending for these two. They got to die in each others arms after a long and happy life together. (94/100)

Quote - "If you're a bird, I'm a bird."

What to watch for - There is so much passion in this film. The freakin' sex scenes are the best. Sadly enough, I watched this on an old dvd that I've had for several years. There were a few small scratches on it. The only times the dvd ever glitched were during the sex scenes. Just my luck.

If you liked this movie, I recommend Dear John!


Directed by Nick Cassavetes
Distributed by New Line Cinema
Written by Nicholas Sparks
Published by Warner Books


Comments

Popular Posts