Downton Abbey


TV Series, 6 seasons (2010-2015); Movie, 2019, PG

Premise - An exploration both upstairs with the elites, and downstairs with the servants, of a prominent estate during the early 20th century England. Downton Abbey has been home for Lords and Ladies of Grantham for centuries, but now that the times are changing away from aristocracy, what future does Downton Abbey hold?
 
Review - I got addicted to these characters fast. It's a character show - and that's what I love about it. There's a cast of well over twenty characters, each with their own strengths, faults, and journeys. The characters themselves are the plot of the show (especially if you count Downton the building as its own character), so despite nothing really "happening" in the lives that would have been considered ordinary for the time, there's never a dull moment.

I'm going to make a weird comparison here to another British TV treasure, Skins, which is absolutely nothing like this show. And yet, they are similar in the sense that there's a large ensemble of characters who are each fully realized and yet wholly different from the last, as many characters shift and fade in and out throughout the show. Unlike Skins, which is highly organized in its episode-by-episode exploration of a new character, Downton Abbey seamlessly flows between several characters in each episode. So seamlessly, in fact, that it was difficult for me to distinguish where episodes or even entire seasons were expected to end. It could have easily just been an endless string of hours of content with no breaks. That's also why a movie was entirely appropriate as it just felt like a continuation.
 
This endless stream of content also makes it feel sometimes though as there was a lack of clear direction the show was taking for each character. The decline of the aristocracy is always looming, as a backdrop, but individual character arcs may have been made up on the spot. Many characters come and go (or die) and I believe it had more to do with a response to the actor's desire to keep working or not, rather than what made the most sense for the show. Dan Stevens, for example, played the male lead for three seasons and then (spoiler) was killed off not because the writers wanted to, but because he wanted to leave the show. It makes me wonder how many storylines were altered due to real-life events. Mrs. O'Brien also left the show suddenly without much explanation, likely due to an actor choice, and she was another favorite of mine. I understand that the show is not created in a vacuum and the creators and actors live real lives. One of the reasons British television is often praised so much are because of its labor laws they uphold in ethical work hours and treatment. 
 
I'm not going to lie, I was biased from the beginning because it's British. The accents, the scenery, the history, the estate... I'm obsessed with British culture and have been even years before I ever studied there. I missed it like a heartache every time the show visited London, and if I ever go back to the UK I'll be sure to visit Highclere Castle, the real-life filming location of Downton Abbey. But, despite the initial draw being the British period drama, it really is the characters that keep you around.

With all of its twists and turns, it generally is a very PG feel-good show, almost saccharine in nature at times. The moments that are exceptions were either confusing, or shocking. There are certain sudden tonal shifts the show takes that I'm not sure work in the show's favor. However, sometimes they add to the incredible realism of the show - life happens, and it's not always pleasant. Where Downton Abbey really catches me is the gore - there are moments in hospitals, war, or illness/death scenes that are NOT suitable for the average person, and only once was there a content warning. Or maybe I'm just sensitive. But this show reminded me I'd never want to be a doctor, even in modern times. God bless those who were doctors 100 years ago because oh my goodness.

The historical accuracy is not for me to comment on, but I'd imagine there was an immense amount of love and care put into it. So much of not just British, but global history is explored, such as the Spanish Flu, World War I, and the general decline of the aristocracy. But instead of reading about it in the history book, you become so much more invested by watching the characters you love experience it firsthand. It is also fascinating to see the different political opinions the various characters share, and how they may impact and react to the changing world around them. The general tone of the show is progressive, with characters who want change in power and democracy. Characters who remain conservative are, at least to me, seen as more humorous or villainous. The feature film confused me a bit for being largely pro-aristocracy and pro-monarchy, as the general theme was "Downton will always be Downton no matter what happens" and radical political characters, like Thomas, are toned down. It's great for the nostalgia factor, as a viewer, but a bit confusing sociopolitically.
 
One criticism of the show is that, even in the feature film, there was little cinematographic originality. I found it a beautiful show because everything on screen is beautiful - the estate is beautiful, the land is beautiful, and the characters/clothes are beautiful. But the way these are captured onscreen is very average and plain. The show instead makes up for it with one of the most iconic musical scores of all time.
 
I shared my fair share of tears throughout the show. Who knew I would get so attached (95/100).
 
Quote - "Wh-what is a weekend?"
 
What to watch for - THOMAS BARROW IS A DREAM! My favorite character and the film was SO SATISFYING because they FINALLY gave him a love interest! What was there - 3 kiss scenes he had throughout the entire show including the movie?? Thomas fans were ROBBED! I could have watched an entire show just about him. Sexiest cast member no doubt, and the fact that no one ever comments on it is the most unrealistic part of the entire show.
 
If you liked this show, I'd recommend Little Women!
 
Created and Written by Julian Fellowes
Movie directed by Michael Engler
TV Show distributed on ITV
Movie distributed by Universal Pictures

Comments

Popular Posts