The Descent

 

 
Movie, 2005, R 
 
Premise - Six women go on a bonding adventure trip to explore tourist caves. When one of the women reveals that these caves were in fact unmarked and unexplored, they become lost and trapped. It does not take long to realize they are not the only living creatures down in these depths.

Review - To be honest, I have not seen this movie in over five years. I did just recently, however, watch a youtube reaction to this movie and realized, while watching, that I had a pretty solid scene-by-scene memory of the film. How did this insignificant film, that I had only seen once, retain itself in my memory?

The simple answer is because this film is terrifying, and terror sticks with you. There are two distinct acts, each of them equally horrific. This film explores both the realistic and unrealistic aspects of terror. The first act relies on stress and tension. It's uncomfortably frightening, watching these women descend deeper and deeper into dark and tight spaces. It initiates a sense of panic in even the least claustrophobic of people. If the entire movie was that first act, it would have been an effective thriller movie in it of itself.

But then, of course, the shift to the second act adds a supernatural element. Once trapped in the caves, the women find themselves among man-eating humanoid freaky cave dwellers, which make little to no sense evolutionarily (what would they eat??). I will tell you though, logic aside, this half of the film is SCARY AS HELL. There is where the "stress" form of horror stops, and the jump scares begin. There are also disturbing images and gore, as well as intense fight scenes with the creatures. 

So we have here an incredible execution of both thriller and horror that is undeniably scary. I am so glad I watched this, initially, with friends or else I would have been even more traumatized than I already was. It was scary enough watching it in the dark. I can close my eyes and still picture certain moments. Can't say I like that, but it was sure effective (74/100).

Quote - "How do you get a lemon to orgasm? You tickle its citrus."

What to watch for - I enjoyed watching the Blind Wave reaction more than the movie itself. You act like a worm, you die like a worm!!
 
If you liked this film, I'd recommend Midsommar!

Directed by Neil Marshall
Distributed by Pathe Distribution

Comments

Popular Posts