Not Cinderella's Type

 

Movie, 2018, TV-13+

Premise - Cindy "Indy" Ella fits the script of a classic Cinderella story perfectly, as much as she tries to deny it. After her mother's death, Indy is forced to live with her Aunt, Uncle, and two cousins, who treat her terribly and force her to do chores by day, and banish her to the attic by night. But as much as the signs are there that this is a Cinderella story, she wants to deny that she is any kind of victim.

Review - This is the most realistic, modern-day adaptation of Cinderella I have ever seen, and my favorite retelling. I think it's what I wanted Cinderella Liberator to be, and I was disappointed at the lack of substance. For such a cheesy, G-rated-style film, they pack a surprising amount of depth. Which is strange, because when the film started, it seemed like a typical low-budget, mediocre-acted television film. In fact, despite its tacky charm and heartwarming characters, it more or less felt substance-less until perhaps the third act.

Here's what this movie calls out - if the events of Cinderella were to happen today, in modern-day life, it would be child abuse. Of course, as a social-worker-in-training, I knew this. The whole film I was making mental notes of the kinds of things that I would find concerning and/or reportable to child welfare. But it was more of an inside joke in my head because these movies never seem to address it. They skirt over the abuse and trauma with a cheesy teen romance, and that's exactly the disguise this film takes. It makes itself digestible for young kids. But just when you think that it's becoming inappropriate to skirt over the facts, they call it out. Our handsome prince tells Indy that she is experiencing emotional abuse. His father, a family psychologist, gets child welfare involved. A legal case ensues. She wins.

I was just so impressed because there was such a delicate balance between realism, and again - G-rated-ness so that the concept of emotional abuse can be introduced to families who watch this film together. Indy is a fantastic protagonist. One of the criticisms of the original Cinderella, in hindsight, is the lesson that you can just be kind, and eventually you'll get what you want in life. What this film says is no, sometimes you have to put yourself first. You'll have to betray your aunt and uncle in your interview with child welfare, no matter how much you want yourself to care about them. You have to recognize your own safety comes first. But Indy has lived like this for so long, it's "normal" for her, that she was shocked to realize that her experiences constitute abuse. Abuse is so often thought of as exclusively physical, and since she wasn't being hit, it was confusing to her.

Her emotional reaction to the trauma is very realistic, too. But not in the way that paints her as a helpless victim. Indy is strong and extraordinarily self-protective. She knows when to hide and when to run. She has a very reasonable distrust for adults and the system, and would therefore rather rely on taking care of herself. Until, this savior family comes along.

I suppose that's the unrealistic, fairy-tale piece of it all. The idea that some nice family will be able to Foster you, and handle your legal case, and the son will become your super emotionally intelligent boyfriend. That's a little too-good-to-be-true. But it's the kind of fairytale ending I'd very much support.

Another shoutout to the realistic love triangle because oh my goodness, the way Maxton fell for Indy was so freakin... visceral. And the actor was just... I don't know. There was something about that friendship that hit me very hard for being too realistic. I like saw so many of my own guy friends in him to a point that it pained me. It also felt VERY realistic that, despite Maxton being a great friend, he wasn't able to recognize emotional abuse because, who would at that age? The fact that he handled the relationship so poorly was just spot on teenage boy. And also the fact that he wasn't there for Indy when she felt unsafe... not surprising whatsoever. And it doesn't make him a villain, it just means he's not in the place to be there for her romantically because she comes with a lot of trauma.

As someone who works in a high school, there was just so much trauma and emotional abuse that I recognized in Indy. She felt incredibly real to me. I don't know, I could go on and on about how this film surprised me. Because as I said, it's packaged in a very Hallmark-esque tone of a film. But it cuts below the surface. (91/100)

Quote - I don't recall specific quotes, but every time they say actually say the word "abuse" out loud, like yes, let's name it.

What to watch for - So, there's a cheesy script and cheesy dialogue. And cheesy adult actors. But you know... I thought the child actors did really well. Indy and Maxton in particular.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend A Cinderella Story!

Based on the book by Jenni James
Directed by Brian Brough
Distributed by Hallmark Movies Now

Comments

Popular Posts