home body

 

Book (poetry), 2020

Premise - Rupi Kaur's third collection of poetry, after milk and honey and the sun and her flowers. This poetry collection focuses on Rupi's complicated relationship, and reuniting, with her body as it pertains to productivity, romance, sex, and general existence.

Review - I was first introduced to Rupi Kaur through milk and honey, which was a pick for Emma Watson's "Our Shared Shelf." I wrote my review on that piece already, but my general thought is that it was deeply, deeply average. More or less the same review for the sun and her flowers when I read it. 

So why did I yet again buy her third collection, when I knowingly thought to myself that the second collection was a waste of money? It's near $20 for a 20 minute read that doesn't necessarily stick with you.

What it is the allure for me? I know what the allure is for others. Making poetry simple, accessible, and relatable, especially for those who have experienced sexual abuse or other sexually related pain or trauma. I know what the allure is for the author, who is incredibly vulnerable, writing quite literally about her life experiences, trauma, and deeply personal opinions. But for me, what is it? Is it the aesthetic? Is it the feeling of fitting in, knowing anyone who has any care for feminism, poetry, or literature has read these books?

There are so many soundbytes from her that go in one ear, out the other, because they contain absolutely no literary substance whatsoever. And then there are a few that, while they're not particularly literary, they somewhat resonate with something I have personally experienced and hit hard. And then, every once in a while, you'll get a gem that is actually quite clever and metaphoric. Unfortunately home body didn't really hit me with the occasional clever poems. It did still hit me with the occasional relatable pieces, particularly as the pertain to the connection between mind and body, and the productivity anxiety. I felt those because I have experienced them myself. But I didn't feel much of the poems where she describes things that I haven't experienced because she just kinda... says them. Not very artistically.

But it's an aesthetically pleasing book to put on my shelf. (65/100)

Quote -

after feeling disconnected for so long
my mind and body are finally 
coming back to each other

What to read for - The section on "rest" stood out to me as a commentary on productivity, capitalism, and the value of bodily labor. You are valuable just for being you. 

If you liked this book, I'd recommend milk and honey!

Written by Rupi Kaur
Published by Andrews McMeel Publishing


Comments

Popular Posts