Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated


Documentary, TV-14, 2017

Premise - Documentary on the life of singer/songwriter Demi Lovato, who got their start as a child star on the Disney Channel. The documentary chronicles their childhood, career, relationships, and most provocatively, their struggles with mental health and addiction that have been dramatically publicized in media.

Review - I have mixed-to-negative feelings about my experience in watching this documentary, mostly because this was assigned viewing for a mental health disorders class and part of a diagnostic assignment in my graduate program, which I found twisted and exploitative. This was a documentary made for entertainment and monetary purposes to promote an upcoming album, and not something that should be used with clinical intent. However, putting those negative associations with my class aside for a moment, yeah, it was a well-produced documentary.

This is not the first documentary made by Demi Lovato's team, nor was it the last. Their life has been a roller coaster of up and down moments in terms of mental health, career success, and drug use. So while the documentary stands on its own, it is just a piece in the puzzle of Demi Lovato's life. The timing of this particular documentary was after six years of sobriety, meant to celebrate the way in which Demi overcame challenges with drug addiction. The documentary acknowledges continued issues with an eating disorder and a diagnosis of bipolar, but views drug use as a part of their past.

This was interesting context for a viewer like myself who knew what would happen next - the near-fatal 2018 overdose. Demi's newest documentary (which I will review shortly), details the events of their relapse, overdose, and honest struggles with recovery since then. It was far less tied up in a bow like this Simply Complicated installment. So with that context, the ending of Simply Complicated was somewhat depressing.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the production value, I enjoyed the interviews, I enjoyed the storytelling. I was aware of Demi Lovato's career and reputation, and listened to a fair bit of their music growing up. However, I was far less attuned to the details of Demi Lovato's career in comparison to, say, Miley Cyrus who I had a much greater obsession with. As a more casual fan of Demi who payed little attention to the drama, the documentary gave so much contextual detail about their history as a child performer and on the Disney Channel that I found absolutely fascinating.

My favorite parts of all in the documentary, however, were specifically career-focused. I absolutely loved the insight into the songwriting and recording process, and seeing Demi in their "happy place" that was the studio. Demi's voice is something else, and hearing the raw footage of them singing takes of their powerhouse songs in the recording studio was a special experience. (80/100)

Quote - “I know what music can get you through. I know what music can do emotionally for somebody because I have experienced it myself and I want to create that for other people. There’s nothing more beautiful than being able to connect with other people through music, in my eyes.”

What to watch for - I'm partial to the clips of Demi in the recording studio that focus on their amazing vocal talent.

If you liked this film, I'd recommend Demi Lovato: Dancing with the Devil!

Directed by Hannah Lux Davis
Distributed by YouTube


Comments

Popular Posts