The Dan & Phil Radio Show

 

Radio Show, 2013-2014

Premise - Dan and Phil have climbed out of the internet and into your ears! Youtube sensations Daniel Howell (at the time, danisnotonfire) and Phil Lester (AmazingPhil) launched what was at the time the most technically ambitious radio show in the world, streamed live both audibly and visually. Fans were offered the chance to call in to interact with Dan & Phil for live games, request songs, and submit homemade music videos.
 
Review - As I wrote about when I finished The Super Amazing Project, I have spent the last two+ years making my way, quite literally, through ALL Dan and Phil content available on the internet, and yet still, I'm about 7 years behind and making my way through 2014 content. Considering how many thousands of hours of Dan and Phil content there is, I'm still impressed with myself that I've made it this far and officially completed perhaps what was the most corporate leg of Dan and Phil's career. Honestly, it's a relief because I'm ready to be (mostly) done with the radio content and onto more youtube and gaming content because the radio show had a lot of establishment behind it that distracted from what I love most about Dan and Phil.

I was incredibly proud of them to see how impressively successful they were on such a high-profile radio station, winning awards and going to festivals, and probably making a lot of money and improving the prestige of their career. As a selfish fan though, the radio show was not my favorite content. I just want to see Dan and Phil interact and laugh and make funny youtube videos. I don't really care for the structured and censored nature of the radio. Secondly, during a lot of the footage you can't even hear them talk and laugh because, obviously, there's music playing over it. So even during the Dan and Phil challenges, which are supposed to be the most fun, joint content, I often found myself not thoroughly watching or boring myself because there's no audio. The effect of this was even worsened by the fact that I watched these episodes on YouTube, where most of the music had been cut out for copyright reasons. If I had watched the episodes live, I would at least have had more music to keep myself occupied. 

But I finished it!!! - Or at least what was still available 7 years later on Youtube. There were definitely episodes missing, but I did my best and now I can say I completed this era of Dan and Phil. Super excited that the gaming channel comes next, which is what I've been working up towards watching in full for years. I know that they have another radio show after this (Internet Takeover), but it's only one hour and their segment is only once a month, so it'll be much more manageable for me to watch. I love all things Dan and Phil anyways, too. (88/100).
 
Quote - "There's just a void next to me where my friend used to be" - that heartbreaking moment when Dan did a show by himself.
 
What to watch for - There are plenty of classic moments, such as the "I Won't Give Up", the sleeping bag caterpillar race, show-horse racing in Wellington boots, lipsyncing to the Kanye West rap in "American Boy", the list goes on. There are countless compilations on Youtube of all of the best moments and people can get enough of the vibe from those.
 
If you liked this show, I'd recommend the gaming channel Danandphilgames!  

Radio show by Daniel Howell & Phil Lester
Aired on BBC Radio1

Comments

Popular Posts