Television Jun - Dec 2022


Completed Shows

-I Just Killed My Dad Season 1 (Documentary Miniseries)

I only watched it so I could listen to the commentary of it on my favorite podcast, "Psychology in Seattle." I appreciated the exploration of childhood trauma, but it could have been FAR more trauma-informed than it was. I think it was aimed at general audiences who may show way less empathy for a killer. I don't find his behaviors odd for his situation whatsoever, nor do I see him as a psychopathic murderous human being. A key feature of abuse is power and control, perhaps more than the physical harm caused by his father. So I didn't care that his life may not have been in danger in that exact moment. I still see him as acting in defense. Trauma 101.

-Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story Season 1

 This was perhaps the most controversial television show of the year, and among the most popular. So, judge me if you will for watching and enjoying this. I am one of many. The show is considered problematic for its feature of Evan Peters, a heartthrob, as Jeffrey Dahmer. People romanticized the show and Jeffrey Dahmer to hell and back. It's also been called problematic because the producers did not consult with or even notify the victims' families before its premiere. However, I also want to consider its value. It's perhaps the first telling of Jeffrey Dahmer's story from a social justice perspective, looking at the systemic racism and homophobia that had to be in place in order for Dahmer to do what he did. It's less about the psychology of Dahmer himself, and more about his environmental surroundings. With this fantastic storytelling, it is disappointing that social justice IRL surrounding the show did not follow suit. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

New, and Up-to-Date Television in 2022

 -Stranger Things Season 4

LONG AWAITED FOR SO MANY YEARS. The number of ways my life has changed since Season 3 premiered is insane. This still feels like a "new" show in my eyes, but Season 1 was freakin' six years ago... I feel old. In between seasons, I moved to another state, both started AND COMPLETED grad school, and fell in love. I got to watch this entire new season with my partner, and realized how strange it is to think of ourselves in past years, both watching the show but never having met before. It feels like that would be a lifetime ago. Overall, I enjoyed the epic scope of the season, the heavy amount of content, the introduction of one of the best villains ever, but... it was fairly overstuffed and did not fit together as cleanly as past seasons. I'm excited that the show will have a clearly defined end-point that the writers are working towards, and have high hopes for season 5. Despite it perhaps being my least favorite season, it's still a 10/10 season of television.

-Couples Therapy Season 3

Is this show over??? There are no confirmations of an upcoming release of Season 4, but I would ideally like this show to go on infinitely. It is the perfect mix of entertainment, and feeling like I am actually working on my professional development. I have a very strong desire to one day perform couples therapy, and I do not get to exercise that muscle much in my current job with kids and families, except in the sense that many of the principles of family therapy (i.e. attachment, communication), are present in couples therapy. This show makes me feel connected to that dream without putting any pressure on me. I can just eat popcorn and relax. Praying it comes back.

-Only Murders in the Building Season 2

This show is a Hollywood darling. It's full of classic A-list stars that make it ripe for critical appreciation, perhaps more than I see necessary. However, I enjoy the show immensely for making me laugh, suspend my disbelief, and just enjoy being entertained. It's a classic who-dunnit murder mystery comedy, like Clue or Psych, with very snappy dialogue. And I love Selena Gomez. So yes, I don't think it's the greatest show ever created, but I will happily keep watching for entertainment purposes.

 Started and Incomplete Television

 -The Boys Seasons 1 & 2

This is the best new show that I have seen in so long!!!!! I struggle a lot to stay engaged and interested in superhero material - which is difficult because of the absolute saturation of media with superheroes. But this show - I was rewatching episodes multiple times over before proceeding to the next one. It's a social commentary on superheroes, and inverts the narrative of the patriotic "hero" and showcases superpowered people as corrupt, rich, privileged, typically White, and have accompanying racism, exploitation, and just assholery. It's dark and twisted and I love it. I'm almost caught up with season 3 as I write this, and then will be awaiting the premiere of season 4 in real time.

-Breaking Bad Season 4

AHHHH the other best show I've seen in a long time - I am in such regret that I didn't discover this show in its heyday. I'm a decade late to the party, but I'm happy to see the Breaking Bad fandom is still going strong on the internet to this day. This was perhaps my favorite season so far, watching the downfall of one of the most iconic villains in television history, Gus. As I write this, I only have 2 episodes left of the entire show, and I've been watching them slowly as I am already in the grieving period.

-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3

 This was the longest part yet - so much so that I've forgotten what Jojo was like before Jotaro. As the longest part, it was also the most formulaic, and could have stood on its own as a television show. As opposed to focusing on our singular Jojo hero, part 3 has much more of an ensemble cast, an Avengers-type group where each character has its own "stand" with superpowers. Each villain also has its own "stand". If the earlier seasons with Hamon resemble more of a Star Wars/mastering the force-type story, this part was a superhero ensemble story. Very colorful and fun, with so much creativity in the vast number of different Stand powers.


Comments

Popular Posts