Happy Death Day

Movie, 2017, PG-13

Premise - In a Groundhog Day-esque time loop, a young woman wakes up every day to find it is her birthday, knowing that she will be murdered that very same night. In order to escape the time loop, she must solve her own murder and survive through the night. Every time she is murdered, she wakes up weaker, knowing that if she dies enough times she will eventually stay that way.

Review - The film's premise makes it sound like a traditional horror film. The previews made it seem like an ordinary slasher film. However, I would say this film came off as horror-slasher-black-comedy-romance-thriller in the best way possible. The film was highly successful, but even so, some complained that the film didn't know if it was meant to be horror or comedy. I don't find that to be an insult. The film does both with such quality.

The film has an amazing trailer, which I first saw on the big screen in a theater, and wanted to watch ever since. I just didn't know if the quality would actually be worthwhile and if I should actually go seek it out. Luckily I had a friend who was interested enough to try it out too, because I thought this film was highly entertaining. Of course, there have been several films with the repeated-day-time-loop plot, but ironically for me it never gets old, especially when done well. What is unique about this rendition (besides the murder) is the fact that we have a strong female protagonist at the forefront. Jessica Rothe is no Bill Murray, but I found her to be just as likeable if not more. Before I Fall is another time-loop book/film with a female lead, but from what I remember from the book, it was more of a drama. Here we have a strong comedic and dramatic lead.

While entertaining, I didn't find the film to be particularly meaningful. Just fun. I actually kind of liked that. Our main character, Tree, starts out as your typical sorority bitch. However, she doesn't have to become a better person to break the time-loop. She doesn't have to appease the killer and apologize for all of the horrible things she's done. There's no lesson to be learned because, really, bitch or not she did NOT deserve to be murdered. Through this experience, she becomes a better person anyways, but that's on her own accord, for her own added benefit, not done artificially just so she can save her own life. SPOILERS, but the killer is killing her for the dumbest reason. There's no "oh I'm getting killed because I'm a bitch so I need to stop being a bitch." That's victim blaming. The literal murderer is the one in the wrong. (86/100)

Quote - SPOILERY QUOTE but I love "Poisoning a cupcake? Really? We're kappas. We don't eat cupcakes."

What to watch for - I very strongly applaud Jessica Rothe's lead performance in this film as Tree. What a lovable protagonist! I was unfamiliar with this actress prior, but I believe this to be career-making. She's absolutely gorgeous. I rewatched the "What's Wrong with being Confident" montage like 50 times. I know they are going to make a sequel (not sure how I feel about that - seems unnecessary), but she will be reprising her role.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Groundhog Day!

Directed by Christopher B. Landon
Distributed by Universal

Comments

Popular Posts