Napoleon Dynamite

Movie, 2004, PG

Premise - Napoleon Dynamite is not your typical American high school protagonist. He's socially, physically, and spiritually awkward. He's also just not really with the world. But somehow his distance from society and incredible lack of self-awareness makes him the person we root for the most. Apart from his best friend Pedro, of course.

Review - I don't even know where to start with this film or review. Watching Napoleon Dynamite for the first time is one of life's oddest experiences. I had no idea what to write for the premise because, quite truthfully, there's not really a plot to this film, nor should there be. I've seen this film four times now, and the more I watch it, the more the humor grows on me. I will admit that upon an initial viewing, I enjoyed the essence more than the actual process of watching the film itself. The humor rests in the silence - the awkward pauses, and the quietly mumbled dialogue. In spite of Napoleon's isolation, this is a film best watched in large crowds, where laughter is loud and contagious. Watching alone, the silence can become almost uncomfortable.

I once actually had to watch this film for a class when studying The Stranger by existentialist philosopher Albert Camus. My professor considered Napoleon to be a modern rendition of the distant, apathetic narrator from the classic French novel. This is not only explored through the character of Napoleon, but the type of filmmaking that surrounds him. The shots are mostly distant and static, with the occasional close-up shot that is too uncomfortably close. Every character's dialogue lacks expression, as if there is no emotional capacity to anything that is being said. Napoleon is completely detached from the entire world, including himself.

Nevertheless, this film is culturally iconic. From ligers to "Vote for Pedro" this film about an outsider ironically forced its way into the most mainstream areas of pop culture. (74/100)

Quote - "Why do you love me? Why do you need me? Always and forever... We met in a chatroom, now our love can fully bloom... Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make my salivate... I love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But I STILL love technology... Always and forever. Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above... always and forever, always and forever... Why do you need me? Why do you love me? Always and forever..."

What to watch for - Kip and LaFawnduh

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Office Space!

Directed by Jared Hess
Distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures

Comments

Popular Posts