Persepolis


Books, Persepolis (English translation), 2003; Persepolis 2 (English translation), 2004


Premise – Marjane Satrapi’s graphic memoir about her life as an Iranian during and after the Islamic Revolution. Told through a series of comic strips, Satrapi’s memoir is simultaneously funny, haunting, and educational. Persepolis illustrates Satrapi’s childhood in Iran, whereas Persepolis 2 illustrates her adolescent life in Vienna, followed by her return to Iran after the war with Iraq.

Review – I had two primary reasons for desperately wanting to read Persepolis. First and foremost, I had already read another graphic novel by Satrapi called Embroideries. An “embroidery” is a euphemism for hymen replacement surgery, as one is embroidering the vagina, so that graphic novel focused more on issues of sex and gender in Iran. I knew, however, that this novel was more famous and personal to Satrapi’s life and had it on my to-do list ever since. Secondly, Emma Watson is bae, and she has a fantastic feminist book club called “Our Shared Shelf.” I have never went as far as to read any of the books she suggested, and that’s something I’d like to change this year. It’s only when I started to list off my all of my favorite literary works that I realized how few feminist books, or even books written by females, that I have read (besides Harry Potter of course). I would like to make an effort to become more familiar with this genre. Persepolis was one of the books Emma Watson recommended, and given the fact that I already like Satrapi, it seemed like a good place to start.

I could not put it down. I read both Persepolis and Persepolis 2 in two days. I spent one day reading Persepolis (followed by panic as I realized that there was a second one and I didn’t have it), and then Persepolis 2 the second day. Each book I read almost entirely in one sitting. Of course, it’s a series of comic strips, so it does not take long to read, but I think the fact that I got through it so quickly is very telling of its quality. Satrapi has led such a fascinating life, that I wish she had released more memoirs of what happens next after she leaves for Europe again.

There’s a small, special place in my heart reserved for Middle Eastern literature. Though Satrapi is the only author I’ve read who is specifically Iranian, I’ve read a number of other Middle Eastern novels and seen a number of films (including some Iranian films). There’s a phenomenon, that’s especially true of Iran, where all of one’s accomplishments, identity, and status become obsolete because of a political or cultural change, and it resonates so strongly with me. This notion that the entire Middle East has been living in uneducated sand dunes for centuries is just completely untrue. In certain countries, there was a sense of modernity, not unlike here in the U.S., that was stripped away and setback 50+ years when a new political regime took over. And it can happen ANYWHERE if the wrong person comes into power, and the proper legislative protection isn’t in place. The frustration, and injustice of it all, is unbearable. But Satrapi also makes it touching and humorous. What a fantastic heroine (90/100).

Quote - "One can forgive but one should never forget."

If you liked this book, I'd recommend Embroideries!

Author: Marjane Satrapi
Publisher: Pantheon Books

Comments

Popular Posts