10 to try Reading Challenge - 2020

For the last two years, I wrote about my local library's "10 to Try" challenge with the intention of making it a yearly tradition. 2020 has been a strange year... I also made the goal of reading 24 books through Goodreads and was on track for a while, even given the pandemic, but the last few months since starting grad school really set me off course and I only read 19 books this year (still proud!)

You would think that the pandemic would give me more free time to read, which maybe it has. But I have also really gotten in the habit of listening to audiobooks instead of reading physical books, which is most often exercised 1) on my commute, 2) at the gym, or 3) on walks. Only walking was actually part of my 2020 and I used a lot of that for the Scene on Radio and other antiracist podcasts given other events of the year.

Nevertheless, I still completed the reading challenge. Here are my reads for the year 2020.

Read a Retelling of a Fairytale or Myth
Cinderella Liberator by Rebecca Solnit

Read a Book that Teaches you a New Skill
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess because it taught me a new language of sorts?
So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo

Read a Book About a Journey
Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne
Aaand because I have nowhere else to put it, I finished Radium Girls by Kate Moore from last year, which is a legal journey?

Read a Book With a Friend
The History of Cats in 101 Objects by Media Lab Books
Poems New and Collected by Wislawa Szymborska (I'm counting it here because I have no other place to put it and I know I DID read this with friends the first time around, back in high school)
White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo (my sister also read it?)
Book of Verse: The Quieting of a Mind by Jaime Pineda (going to count because this is my uncle)

Read a Book about a Person You'd Like to Meet
The Amazing Book is Not on Fire by Dan Howell and Phil Lester

Read a Book About Nature
Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne

Read a Book about Music or a Musician 
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess because music plays a key role? 
Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks
 
Read a Book about Current Events
So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo

Read a Book Recommended by KCLS Staff
Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit
So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo 
Whose Story Is This? by Rebecca Solnit

Read a Book by an Author whose Gender is Different than Yours (HAHA this will be long because most books are written by men...)
Act without Words by Samuel Beckett
Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Book of Verse: The Quieting of a Mind by Jaime Pineda
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess 
Endgame by Samuel Beckett
Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne
Full Throttle by Joe Hill
Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky
Rough for Theatre II by Samuel Beckett

Comments

Popular Posts