Onward


Movie, PG, 2020
 
Premise - What does a fantasy world that doesn't use magic look like? A lot like ours - suburban and dull. But society has evolved beyond necessitating magic, instead relying on the convenience of technology. Two teenage elves one day discover a gift from their deceased dad, who tried to tap into the old magic ways to create a spell that would allow him to come back to life for one day after his death. They go on a quest to learn how to use this ancient magic and bring him back to life - because their first try created, well, only half of him that they now have to carry along.

Review - It was hard to write a premise to describe this film. There's a lot happening. Another way of looking at it is the Pixar version of Weekend at Bernie's. They have half of their dead dad's body that has come back to life, but they have to disguise it to make it look normal when going on their quest to find a gem that will allow them to complete the rest of the spell. It's a lot less morbid than Weekend at Bernie's, but a lot of the physical comedy is the same. 

It's an odd premise with an odd aesthetic that I honestly wasn't particularly excited about. I knew the story must be good though, being an original Pixar film, and I was not wrong. Sometimes I feel like with Pixar films, the animation carries the story through (i.e. Up, Coco). In this case, the film really relied on the power of storytelling to carry it, as I felt like the animation could have been done by any studio. I was not wrong though, this was a fantastic story.

It's still a classic Pixar setup - a fantastical world that has been politically normalized, much like The Incredibles. However, I loved the way it subverted my expectations. I was expecting them to go on this big adventure, NOT be able to revive their dad, and bond as brothers along the way. The actual ending was similar enough, with a few unexpected moments that really drive the story. For one, it wasn't just about brotherly bonding. It was about seeing Barley, the older brother, AS a father figure. And second, this means Barley was the one who DIDN'T have a father figure, not our main character. So, at the end of the film when only one character can stay to meet the revived dad, it's Barley who gets to go. Barley, at the beginning of the film, is presented as the screw-up, the "fun" guy who you can love but isn't actually seen as respectable or capable. The film subverted that for sure. I definitely was near tears.
 
Pixar knows how to do familial relationships well, particularly parental-type relationships. I mean, think of Finding Nemo. I can imagine this being a really sensitive film to watch for anyone who has lost a parent because they sure go deep into the grief. I found the entire film very emotionally compelling. (85/100)
 
I have noticed, too, that Pixar films are generally ranked harsher. I think I was doing that to make it clear where each of them ranks on my ranking page. I think this could easily be a 90's ranked film though.

Quote - "He's a smart kid, he just doesn't know how quests work."

What to watch for - They definitely went for star power with the voice actors, Tom Holland and Chris Pratt. Though they probably recorded in separate vocal booths and never crossed paths during the making of the film, I still like to think their chemistry played a role here in forming the brotherly bond that makes this film.

If you liked this film, I'd recommend Braking for Whales! It's such a random comparison with a totally different intended audience, but it is about two siblings bonding to fulfill their deceased parents' final wishes on a timed quest.
 
Directed by Dan Scanlon
Distributed by Pixar

Comments

Popular Posts