Ballet Shoes


TV Movie, 2007, PG (US release date: 2008)

Premise - Three young, abandoned/orphaned girls are raised in a poor household by a woman who was also orphaned and then abandoned by her caretaker. With no one to depend on but each other, each of the girls tries to make the most of it by pursuing her dreams of ballet, acting, and aviation, not only to make money for their caretaker but to make something of themselves.


Review - This is a very feel-good British movie that I actually enjoy quite a bit. It's very feminine in a way that makes me feel good about being a girl. As a young girl who loved dancing and being the center of attention, I would have WORSHIPPED this film if I saw it earlier.

I watch this film for Emma Watson, obviously. Forever my favorite actress, no matter how she performs. She just gets the privilege of being my favorite actress for portraying my favorite female fictional character in existence. And she is absolutely gorgeous in this role! She has such a strong, youthful spirit that actually comes across as some of her most convincing acting. In some ways, this film is one of the only examples of me forgetting that I was watching the girl who played Hermione, as she was so strongly encompassed by her character. I still see Emma, of course, but not Hermione, and that's impressive given this is her first role outside of Hermione. To me, she shows a fearlessness here that is special to her early works.

The only thing I really don't like about this film is the beginning. Every time I start watching it, I'm like "this isn't a good film, why am I watching..." and then it gets better. The opening sequence is the worst part of the film, and it takes me 20 minutes or so to get into it and then finally I no longer feel like I'm wasting my time (80/100).

Quote - (Paraphrased) "What matters most to you?" "Acting?" "If that's an honest answer, then there's no hope for you."
I can't remember the exact quote, but the context is her film director trying to find some real world inspiration for her scene.

What to watch for - Not only do you get to see Emma Watson as her character Pauline, but because Pauline is an actress, you get to see her as other characters as well! She gets to play Alice from Alice in Wonderland, a Shakespearean fairy, and even the fairy godmother from Cinderella. It's very satisfying.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Aquamarine!

Adapted from the novel 1936 novel of the same name Noel Streatfield. Adaptation by Heidi Thomas.
Directed by Sandra Goldbacher
Originally aired on BBC One
US rights by Granada International

Comments

Popular Posts