The Greatest Showman


Movie, PG, 2017

Premise - A musical based on the real life story of circus showman P.T. Barnum. Wanting nothing more than to prove his worth to the high-brow citizens of America, he showcases all the freaks he can find, from the bearded lady, to the world's heaviest man, in what he considers the world's most entertaining show. Unfortunately, society does not take too kindly to these different creeds of people.


Review - I absolutely loved this movie. I had heard mixed reviews that kept my expectations low. On the one hand, it was nominated for various Golden Globes and Oscars. On the other hand, the online rotten tomato and metacritic scores were pretty iffy. From what I had heard from friends, the dominant message was to expect to like the music, but don't expect too much from the film itself. But hey, I enjoyed the whole thing.

No, it's not believable. No, it's probably not what P.T. Barnum's life was actually like. Yes, he was probably a much worse person in reality. Yes, the circus people likely were far more exploited than they were enjoying themselves. Yes, the animals were abused. But you know what? Keeping in line with the themes of the film, none of that matters in this fictional film, as long as people are entertained and enjoying themselves. We know we are being duped, just like we would be in a circus. The story is about creating a good show, and all of this makes for a great film. The film is very flashy, which means it's not for everyone. I happen to love flashy, over-the-top filmmaking. I also love all of the songs. Oh, and don't forget that I love Zac Efron. If you take the film at face value, I believe it to be fantastic.

The Greatest Showman is such a joyous film. You watch people sing, dance, and be comfortable in their own skin. The circus freaks find a home and stop caring about what high society thinks of them. They actually take pride in their deviance. It's kind of like an 1800s version of "Glee" and I love me some "Glee."  (95/100)

EDIT 6/9/19: Since initially seeing this film, I have memorized the vast majority of the soundtrack. The songs have become a part of my life. Rewatching the film again after a year of not having seen it, I did confirm that it's not just the songs and dance numbers that have stuck with me, but the film itself. I'm upping the score to 98/100.

Quote - "Hyperbole isn't the worst crime. Men suffer more from imagining too little than too much."

And, from that same conversation, "A theater critic who can't find joy in the theater. Now who is the fraud?"

What to watch for - The musical numbers are all fantastic. I'd say the thing to look for most is the how clean the choreography is. There is such a strong satisfaction that comes with a really fast beat and dance move occurring in sync.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Glee!

Directed by Michael Gracey
Distributed by 20th Century Fox

Comments

Popular Posts