It Happened One Night

Movie, 1934, Unrated

Premise - A famous daughter of a rich man runs away to be with the husband she is prevented from seeing. To reach New York, she takes a long bus ride and meets a man named Peter Warne who decides to help her reunite with her lover. Meanwhile, the two have to evade the detectives and journalists nationwide who are all searching for the famous escapee.

Review - I cannot for the life of me understand the title of this film. It Happened One Night??? The film takes place over several days, and therefore, several (ahem) nights. Maybe it's the fact that finally one night the walls of Jericho came down?? Or on one night they met?? Everyone meets initially once, that's what it means to meet someone, so I have no idea if that's what they were going for. Apart from the title, I think it was a well thought out film.

This is truly the first cinematic "rom com." I'm sure you can count certain Shakespeare plays and such as romantic comedies, but when we talk about rom coms today, we mean simple, good-hearted films. This is the first (at least in speaking films). Knowing the film is from the 1930s, I had my qualms about seeing this film. I knew it was one of the world's most classic films, but both comedy and romance have shifted drastically over the past several decades. I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything uncomfortable or offensive. I was entirely wrong and this film actually had a role in shifting my understanding of this era. Sure, there were some comments or scenes that may have been considered sexist, but only if you're digging for trouble (and quite frankly, that's still true of films today). Peter's disdain for Ellen Andrews' character comes across more as a mistrust of snobby rich people, and definitely not women. Plus, the two both have disdain for each other and are equally vocal and hostile. That's part of what makes their dynamic so great.

This film turned out not only to be watchable but highly enjoyable. The film pulls at your heartstrings, and definitely has those classic "misunderstandings" we all hate but love in all romantic comedies. The comedy also holds up really well, especially due to Peter's intense sarcasm. It's sweet, clever, and has two incredible acting performances (85/100).

Quote - "He didn't want the reward. All he asked for was $39.60, what he spent on you. Said it was a matter of principle. You took him for a ride. He loves you, Ellie. He told me so. You don't want to be married to a mug like Westley; I can buy him off for a pot of gold."

What to watch for - I don't know, there's just so much quick and clever dialogue! I like the scene where Peter is trying to get rid of Shapely and tells him that he's selling Ellen off to a murderer to freak him out.

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Overboard!

Directed by Frank Capra
Distributed by Columbia Pictures

Comments

Popular Posts