New Girl


TV Series (2011 - 2018); 7 seasons

Premise - After a break up, Jessica Day takes a risk and moves into a loft with three men she met on Craigslist. "New Girl" is a standard sit-com in the sense that it's just about a group of friends, their lives, and the crazy shenanigans they all get up to. What makes the show unique is it's level of awkwardness, cringe, dorkiness, and just plain weirdness.

Review - Very rarely do I get to write a review for a television show. Very rarely do I finish a television show, from start to finish. Even less rarely do I finish a television show as it airs live, and not after the fact. Actually, off the top of my head, the only show for which I know for certain this is true is "Chuck," my favorite television show. Therefore, to have stuck with this show for seven full seasons, watching every single episode, it goes without saying that this is also one of my all-time favorites.

Unfortunately, part of me watched every episode just to stick it out. After the first 3-4 seasons, I kept watching because I wanted to complete what I had started. During season 6 I especially considered dropping the show, until I found out that season 7 would be its last and only last 8 episodes. That seemed worth the commitment to me. Luckily, season 7 was far stronger than season 6, and I do believe the show ended on a high note. I was very happy with the final episodes.

When the show was in its prime, however, it was definitely one of the greatest. For a time, Nick and Jess were my favorite on screen couple, my first otp since Chuck and Sarah on "Chuck." And boy was I invested in their relationship. I still am, though I think their momentum was forever ruined after the writers broke them up in season 3. Those first three seasons of Nick and Jess, though, were romance gold. I still watch fan videos of them all the time (yup, super fangirl here).

I think what made the show great was how... destitute it was? These are characters in their 30s, who would have liked to settle down by now, but are stuck in a loft with a bunch of other roommates, not far enough in their careers or relationships to live elsewhere. The show can be somewhat depressing, but in a heartwarming way. We are always reminded that they at least have each other (98/100).

Quote - "I'm not convinced I know how to read, I've just memorized a lot of words."

What to watch for - NESS!!!!!!!!!! Aka, Nick and Jess, one of the best romantic duos on television.

If you liked this show, I'd recommend Friends!

Producer: Liz Meriwether
Network: Fox
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox Television



Comments

Popular Posts