Cinderella


Movies; 1950, G; 2015, PG 

Premise - After the death of Ella's parents, she is treated as a slave by her evil stepmother and two ugly stepsisters. Left among the ashes, her new family calls her Cinderella. One magical night, her fairy godmother grants her the opportunity to go to the ball and meet the prince. She has to make the most of her time, as the magic will wear off the moment the clock strikes midnight.

Review - I'm cheating a bit because while I have seen the original animated 1950's version several times, they were all while I was very young and I have a very limited memory. So this will mostly be in reference to the 2015 live-action version. In the animated film, what has stuck with me most over the years are the costumes and musical numbers. As happy as I was with how the 2015 adaptation polished the plot, I would have loved Disney to show more nods to the animated film (her hair was up in the animated film, not down!!!)

I love this story, at least as the live action told it. The whole moral of this tale is that no matter how cruelly you are treated by someone, you have the courage to treat them back with kindness. This is the lifestyle Cinderella strives for, and it is what her mother instilled in her before she died. While good in theory, this... "pushover" attitude results in her slavery as everyone around her takes advantage of her goodness. In cases of abuse, it first seems harmful to teach unconditional kindness. However, that purity is strong enough to summon the magic of her fairy godmother. Her fairness is what attracts Cinderella to the Prince, who later becomes the King. Cinderella is given the privilege of attending the ball and wins the Prince's heart all due to her personality characteristics. For Cinderella, in the end, her kindness pays off. It's a message that I embrace wholeheartedly. It may not be as applicable in the real world, and I acknowledge the importance of standing up for one's self, but let us never forget the kindness that should be at the root of all actions. The 2015 film has a genuine goodness to it that sticks with me long after I finish it. It always makes me feel more pure. (92/100)

Quote - "Have courage and be kind."

What to watch for - In the 2015 version it is everything about Lily James' performance. She is just ridiculously beautiful. Every time I watch this movie I vow to wear less makeup.

If you liked this movies, I'd recommend Beauty and the Beast!

Based on the ancient folk tale. Perhaps the best known early version is the 1697 version by Charles Perrault and the 1812 Grimms' Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm.
1950 version: 
Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, and Wilfred Jackson
Produced by Walt Disney
2015 version:
Directed by Kenneth Branagh
Distributed by Disney

Comments

Popular Posts