Firebringer


Play (Musical), 2016

Premise - The completely accurate story of how womankind first discovered fire and used it to progress human nature at the expense of all other living species. I mean, maybe they fudged a few of the details here and there. It is a musical after all, but other than that, 100% a true story of duck-worshipping cavepeople with smelly balls.

Review - Starkid is a theater troupe that posts their full musicals online. I have seen several Team Starkid productions, including of course the legendary A Very Potter Musical trilogy countless times. The moment Firebringer was released on YouTube, I knew I would watch it someday, but it did take me over a year to finally take the time to do it.

Compared to other musicals Starkid has done, this one unfortunately does not hold up. I mean, it's Starkid, so it's still great, but doesn't reach the same level of comedic genius. Perhaps it's the fact that it has no source material, as Starkid is known for its parodies of pop culture (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Batman, etc.). However, Starkid has had original plays such as Starship and Me and My Dick which were bigger successes. In truth, I can't exactly pinpoint why Firebringer had trouble holding my interest. I loved seeing the familiar faces, like Lauren Lopez, Joe Walker, and my favorite, Brian Holden. But something about the plot and the characters didn't hold me over. Perhaps it's because the political/social satire was present as always, but not optimized. (71/100)

What to watch for - Lauren Lopez has a leading role in this production! Have there been other productions where she plays a woman?? Somehow I can't remember. But here you get to see her in all her beauty, singing in her natural voice.

If you liked this play, I'd recommend Twisted!

Performed by Starkid Productions
Published on YouTube

Comments

Popular Posts