Easy A

Movie, 2010, PG-13

Premise - A high school virgin accidentally starts a rumor that she's the new school slut. Instead of stifling the rumors, she profits by letting fellow unpopular men pay her in gift cards to say that they slept with her, in order to boost their reputations. Inspired by The Scarlet Letter, she brands herself with a red "A" to bedazzle her promiscuous clothing and expand her business.


Review - This is one of my favorite chick flicks of all time. It's the film that made me fall in love with Emma Stone, miss Amanda Bynes, and lust for Penn Badgley (though all of Penn Badgley's works make me lust for Penn Badgley?) When it first came out, it was edgy, different, and borderline took things just a bit too far.

It's been a few years since I last watched this film in full, so now in hindsight it really hits me how inaccurate a portrayal of high school this truly is. Come to think of it, I probably watched this film while in high school myself and still did not think of how bizarrely unrepresentative it was of the high school experience. Understandably, the sort of "witch hunt" attitude towards women is inspired by the themes of The Scarlet Letter and the puritanical era, but seriously, no high school treats women this way. There are plenty other ways high schools mistreat women, but funnily enough literally branding them as harlots is not one of them.

It's not supposed to be accurate. It's supposed to be wild and crazy and bizarre and just... a clever re-imagining of one of the world's most classic novels. The real The Scarlet Letter is incredibly boring. I'd take this over the original any day. (95/100)


Quote - "You know, I dated a homosexual once. Actually I dated him for a long time."
  "Oh god, please don't tell me you married and had two kids with him."

ALSO: "The books you read in class always seems to have a strong connection with whatever angsty adolescent drama is being recounted" is one hell of a truth bomb hahahaha

What to watch for - This is Emma Stone's first starring performance, so it really is all about her!

If you liked this movie, I'd recommend Mean Girls!

Directed by Will Gluck
Distributed by Screen Gems

Comments

Popular Posts